25 May, 2021
Simple Sausage Casserole Recipe
Super simple sausage casserole recipe using ingredients your likely have already, or that doesn’t break the budget if you haven’t got them in stock.
Inspiration For This Dish
I have worked for many years previously in the cooking industry. Many of them were in fact in a care home for elderly patients with dementia. One of the things i always took pride of is making the most out of all the ingredients i had. Keep costs low but taste high no matter who I’m cooking for.
So having to cook many casseroles weekly i decided to find the best tasting but low budget casserole i could to leave everyone eating it happy. This worked so well i soon started cooking it at home due to it being so easy to knock together when your running out of ingredients in the kitchen.
Ingredients For Sausage Casserole
- 5 Pork Sausages
- 1 Celery Stick
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Large Onion
- 2 Medium Sized Potatoes
- Half a can of Peeled Plum Tomatoes
- 1 Beef Stock Cube
- 1 Vegetable Stock Cube
- Fresh Parsley
- Salt + Pepper
- Worchester Sauce
- Optional – Frozen Veg To add some more veggie goodness.
- Start by peeling the Carrots, Potatoes and Onion.
- Medium to thin slice the Carrots, Celery and Onion.
- Dice the Potatoes into cubes about 1 inch by 1 inch large.
- Heat up a large pot with some vegetable oil.
- Fry off all the vegetables for around 3 minutes.
- Add the Sausages and try for a few minutes to cook the outside of them.
- Add enough water to just cover everything in the pot, I used around 750ml but you can adjust to how much gravy you want. (add extra stock cubes and seasoning if your adding more than 1 litre)
- Chop the Parsley and add that to the mixture along with half a can of the Peel Plum Tomatoes.
- Add the Stock Cubes, Seasoning and 4 or 5 drops of Worchester sauce.
- Bring to the boil and then leave simmering for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the Sausages and cut each one into 4 pieces, then add them all into the broth and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Optionally you can add some other veg now such as peas, sweetcorn, runner beans at this point.
Serve with some crusty bread for dipping. I personally prefer some Greek pitta breads, sprinkled with some olive oil, oregano, garlic powde3r and salt. Its a nice alternative and also has a familiar taste of garlic bread. And the best thing is its not that hard to find Greek pitta bread now. It seems over the last few years most major super markets have started stocking it, and then aren’t over priced at all.
If your looking for a Greek recipe to try out for another meal check out our Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers recipe here
Using the most simple ingredients you can create some really tasty dishes, this sausage casserole dish can easy be used for beef, chicken or even a vegetable casserole on its own by adding a few more vegetables.
One of my favourite part is this is after about 20 minutes when the tomatoes release that dark red to the sauce and the smell really starts to work its way around the house. Guaranteed to leave everyone at the dinner table wanting another bowl.
Thank you for reading and don’t forget to leave a comment if you liked it or have any improvements we could add to this.