15 May, 2021
Greek Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
A delicious traditional Greek meal using an Authentic recipe made many times by my own Greek Grandma, and passed down through my father to me.
Idea For The Dish
Being half Greek myself and been raised there most of my childhood its hard not to go back to the old favourites. And this is definitely one of the favourites that everyone in the family looked forward to whenever we saw the preparation of the tomatoes and pepper.
Its a surprisingly easy recipe that doesn’t take too long to prepare and only needs a hand full of ingredients. If your looking for a side dish i would suggest having Tzatziki and Feta with some Olive Oil and oregano. Another common side is some grilled bread, lightly sprinkled with olive oil and oregano and grilled on other side.
Ingredients for Stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
Serves – 4
- 4 Large Beef Tomatoes
- 4 Whole Peppers
- 1 White Onion
- Fresh Parsley and Basil
- Approx. 1.5 Tbsp of rice per Tomato/Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt and 1/3 tsp Pepper
- A Dash of Olive Oil
- Start by cutting the top from the tomatoes and peppers, leaving a tiny un cut by to create a flat to that the lid will stay in place and not slide off during cooking.
2. Now hollow out the tomatoes and peppers, making sure to keep all the insides of the tomatoes in a bowl as you will need them later. Throw the inside of the peppers away.
3. Now cut the onion roughly into pieces and add it to the tomato mixture in the bowl as this will get blended up.
4. Add the Seasoning, Parsley and Basil. Now blend it using a blender or food processor until there are no lumps.
5. Arrange your tomatoes and peppers in a tray in close proximity of each other so they can hold each other up during cooking. Now spoon in roughly 1.5 Tbsp of rice into each one. This will differ by size but fill 1/3 of the tomato of pepper up with rice.
6. Fill the tomatoes and pepper up with the liquid tomato mixture you blended earlier. Leave a little space at the top as they rice will rise during cooking.
7. Place the lids over the top to seal the tomatoes and peppers. Sprinkle some olive oil and season with salt then place into the oven at 190c for 45 Mins.
8. After 25 mins I tend to take them out the oven, pull the lid pack slightly and add a little more of the tomato mixture into each one to make sure the rice doesn’t get dry whilst cooking. If you haven’t got much of the mixture left just add a little water too it and mix before inserting into the tomatoes and peppers.
9. Server with some feta, grilled bread and tzatziki.
Love Our Blogs?
Check out our other blog for blogging tips and tricks. How to make money from your WordPress sites and much more on the TheBloggingRobbot.
Looking for something sweet to finish off strong with? Check out our Summer Dessert recipe you can whip up in a few mins.